The aim of the project is to establish in Cyprus a Science and Research Center to:
- Undertake competitive interdisciplinary research of excellence for the development of innovative tools and exhibits for Science, Technology, Engineering, Art and Mathematics (STEAM) Education and Science Communication.
- Promote science literacy and capacity building through informal STEAM Education using interactive Science Technology and Engineering (STE) exhibits, demonstrations and contact with scientists.
- Contribute towards a Responsible Research and Innovation (RRI) culture through open schooling, Science Communication and outreach activities.
- Provide teacher professional training for integrating in-house developed ICT tools in formal STEAM Education and promote endorsement of new STEAM educational strategies and curricula.
- Serve as a hub to communicate and disseminate to public and industry innovative technology research outcomes and evidence-based practice to policy makers and provide a platform for entrepreneurship for supporting public engagement in entrepreneurship and start-up companies.
Research excellence and innovation will be attained through “Teaming” collaborations, exchange visits and networking with EU Centers of Excellence in ICT research and STEAM Education, and with renowned Science Centers and the public and private universities of Cyprus. The Center will work with academics, expert in various fields, and employ staff and researchers with expertise in Computer Science and ICT, STEAM Education and Science Communication. An entrepreneurship unit hosting a prototyping platform for innovation will be used for dissemination of research outcomes, advising innovative patents, promoting start-ups and establishing links with the industry.
The Center will be a unique landmark with a positive long term impact on innovation, Cyprus economic growth and Education, in accordance with “Europe 2020”, and adhering to the objectives of the Teaming Phase I Call.
Funding Organization: European Commission – H2020-WIDESPREAD-04-2017-TeamingPhase1/ WIDESPREAD-04-2017 (Ref. #: 763594)
Project duration: September 2017 – August 2018
Project Website: https://cordis.europa.eu/project/id/763594